Early spring is some of the best eating for us wild food lovers out there. Here are some ideas for the most delicious greens to include in your backyard-foraged salad, as local as local gets!
As always, make sure that your plant ID skills are on point before prepping a delicious salad…though in the springtime, it seems like everything that grows on the ground is edible! For more info, grab a Peterson’s Guide to Wildflowers (considered the bible of plant ID) and Susun Weed’s Wise Woman Herbal, which is packed with facts about several of the common nutritive herbs below.
- Chickweed leaves and blossoms (Stellaria media)
- Dandelion leaves and blossoms (Taraxacum officinale)
- Red clover blossoms (Trifolium pratense)
- Purple dead nettle leaves and blossoms (Lamium purpureum)
- Violet leaves and blossoms (Viola spp.)
- Garlic mustard or wild mustard leaves and blossoms (Brassica spp.)
Green, white, pink, yellow, and purple…what a beautiful spring salad! Don’t forget to finish it off with a splash of olive oil and a dousing of an herbal vinegar, like our Three Sisters mineral-rich organic delight, for a yummy and healthy salad dressing.